FayObserver.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» FayObserver.com » FayObserver.com » General Discussion » Crossword Puzzle

Author Topic: Crossword Puzzle
Jimmy
Member # 2569

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimmy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fayetteville Observer.com used to have a free online crossword puzzle that I enjoyed working out when I was bored. It was free, you clicked on it and it gave you the Crossword for the day, or Crosswords for previous days. You typed your answers in it just like a regular crossword. That crossword feature is gone. Now it takes you to a site where you have to pay to solve the puzzle! I'm not a-goinna pay nothin' to solve no crossword puzzle! So there!

[ May 27, 2009, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Jimmy ]

--------------------
"The only answers I gave were grown-up ones" - sammie

Posts: 2700 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Justabum
Member # 1824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Justabum         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good decision, Jimmy. Don't let them abuse you.

--------------------
A great many people aren't nearly as smart as they think they are. Justabum

Posts: 33273 | From: Held hostage by Fayetteville | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hmmiller
Member # 2998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hmmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dang, I hadn't even missed the crossword puzzles. They used to be fun.

--------------------
Dixie Land, The land of cotton, Old times there are not forgotten. I'm a Republican, someone has to work.

Posts: 38702 | From: wonderful downtown hope mills | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opserver
Member # 4130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opserver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jimmy, go to "http://www.wral.com/", select "Entertainment," select, "Games." finally select "Crosswords"

One can play there for free all day. There are thousands of puzzles. I've been playing there about a year, several puzzles a day and don't think I've had a repeat.

--------------------
Mad King George (W. Bush) III, Worst President Ever!.

Barack Hussein Obama, President of the United States of America. Commander in Chief of American armed forces. Leader of the free world and Nobel laureate.

Posts: 8768 | From: Fayetteville, NC. USA, Earth | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimmy
Member # 2569

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimmy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks op. I will try that site.

--------------------
"The only answers I gave were grown-up ones" - sammie

Posts: 2700 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Woolverton
Member # 2964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Woolverton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weird:
- People pay 50 cents to buy a paper to play the crossword ($1.50 on Sunday). You get one puzzle per purchase

- People pay $10 to $20, sometimes more, to buy a book of crossword puzzles at a bookstore or newsstand. You get several dozen, maybe even 100.

But people get angry when a web site asks for $3.95 per month (with an offer for $19.95 per year) to access 70 new puzzles per week, a mix of crosswords and other kinds of puzzles, plus 8,000 puzzles in its archive.

Why is that?

(edited to reflect that the web site has other puzzles besides crossword puzzles)

[ May 29, 2009, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Paul Woolverton ]

--------------------
Paul Woolverton, reporter
The Fayetteville Observer
woolvertonp@fayobserver.com

Posts: 1176 | From: Fayetteville | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thejuice
Member # 3262

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for thejuice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole value of all intellectual property is being eroded by The Internet is Free mentality, Paul. The idea of Free doesn't stop at just the exchange of ideas, but goes back to every aspect of producing and disseminating ideas.

It's like any business, if you have a buy one-get one free deal for too long, it erodes the perceived value of the one you're charging for too. Somebody somewhere will produce it for cheaper for a while, even if their business model is flawed and it's temporary. [Frown]

Posts: 23331 | From: Hope Mills | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opserver
Member # 4130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opserver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Woolverton:
Weird:
- People pay 50 cents to buy a paper to play the crossword ($1.50 on Sunday). You get one puzzle per purchase

- People pay $10 to $20, sometimes more, to buy a book of crossword puzzles at a bookstore or newsstand. You get several dozen, maybe even 100.

But people get angry when a web site asks for $3.95 per month (with an offer for $19.95 per year) to access 70 new crossword puzzles a week, plus 8,000 puzzles in its archive.

Why is that?

1, Because we were used to getting a puzzle a day for free.

2, One can get all the puzzles imaginable om WWW.WRAL.COM free of charge.

3, Why spend $3.95/ month or $19.95/year for what one can get for free?

4, I must doubt your statement that "People pay 50 cents to buy a paper to play the crossword ($1.50 on Sunday). You get one puzzle per purchase."
Were that to be true don't you think that would put your newspaper in a bad light?

Paul, I think the operative word here is free.

--------------------

Barack Hussein Obama, President of the United States of America. Commander in Chief of American armed forces. Leader of the free world and Nobel laureate.

Posts: 8768 | From: Fayetteville, NC. USA, Earth | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Woolverton
Member # 2964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Woolverton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People buy the paper for many reasons, and one of those reasons is to play the crossword.

But you're right: When the media expanded to the Internet back in the mid-1990s, they bought into "if it's online it must be offered for free" mentality. They trained the public to expect information, much of which is costly to create, for free.

The theory was that advertising would underwrite the cost. Not at first, but eventually.

It's been nearly 15 years now, and with rare exceptions, advertising revenue online has never been sufficient to cover the cost. It doesn't even come close.

Industry-wide, there is serious discussion of starting to charge for online content. They producers can no longer afford the losses.

I'm curious to find out whether the free crossword puzzles available through WRAL are losing money for WRAL or the puzzle creators.

--------------------
Paul Woolverton, reporter
The Fayetteville Observer
woolvertonp@fayobserver.com

Posts: 1176 | From: Fayetteville | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opserver
Member # 4130

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Woolverton:
People buy the paper for many reasons, and one of those reasons is to play the crossword.

But you're right: When the media expanded to the Internet back in the mid-1990s, they bought into "if it's online it must be offered for free" mentality. They trained the public to expect information, much of which is costly to create, for free.

The theory was that advertising would underwrite the cost. Not at first, but eventually.

It's been nearly 15 years now, and with rare exceptions, advertising revenue online has never been sufficient to cover the cost. It doesn't even come close.

Industry-wide, there is serious discussion of starting to charge for online content. They producers can no longer afford the losses.

I'm curious to find out whether the free crossword puzzles available through WRAL are losing money for WRAL or the puzzle creators.

It goes without saying that the internet has placed enormous amounts of material at our fingertips that we wouldn’t have access to without it. I have bookmarks from some eighty news sources, in English, around the world as well as a couple of hundred other bookmarks. Without the net I’d never be able to access all those news sources.

If a charge is levied for internet content I won’t be able to utilize it anywhere as much as I now do.

Paul, I would think you’re in a position to learn if WRAL or the puzzle creators are making or losing money on their crosswords.

[ May 29, 2009, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: opserver ]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us |

Copyright, Fayobserver.com